Created in collaboration with Epic Games. Use Unreal for online game dev in C++. Covers LAN, VPN, Steam and more.
- Build multiplayer games.
- Share games with a large audience.
- Connect games via the Steam APIs.
- Understand the challenges of computer networks.
- Understand how Unreal replicates state.
- Build UI with UMG and C++.
- Knowledge of basic C++ including classes and pointer.
- An understanding of fundamental Unreal concepts such as Pawns and Maps.
- You should be comfortable creating Blueprints to program simple behaviours.
Created in collaboration with Epic Games, the course will show you how to create Epic multiplayer experiences using the world class Unreal Engine. This course hits the ground running, instantly getting you playing your own multiplayer games with other students.
As the engine underpinning many AAA games (including Fortnite), Unreal is full of tools for creating multiplayer games extremely quickly. However, knowing where to start with Unreal Engine can be intimidating.
With a massive feature set and little documentation, you get stuck understanding where to begin. This course makes understanding Unreal super easy. Not only do we show you how to use the engine, but we teach you the fundamental concepts. These skills allow you to pick up new features for yourself.
This course is aimed at beginner to intermediate Unreal users with some knowledge of C++. Not too confident? Don’t worry, the course will take you through everything step by step and give you plenty of practice to build up that confidence with coding.
We don’t assume any knowledge about networking or multiplayer games. We will teach you about everything you need to know about networks from the basics of latency in networks to the advanced topics of state synchronisation.
This course will not teach you to make a massively multiplayer game. But it will teach you the fundamentals you need to understand how an MMO could be built.
Note: access to this course comes with an optional, free community site where you can share games and 3D models, as well as connect with other students.
Become a multiplayer master now, you won’t be disappointed!
- Beginner to intermediate coders.
- Blueprint users who want to get good at C++.
- Unreal users who want to understand multiplayer features.
Created by Ben Tristem, Sam Pattuzzi, GameDev.tv Team
Last updated 3/2020
Size: 5.58 GB